The municipality of Montalban, currently known as Rodriguez, is a first class municipality in the province of Rizal, Philippines. It is one of the biggest municipalities in the province with a land area of 36, 327.07 hectares representing around 11.30% of Rizal’s total land area and with a population of 280,904 based on the latest National Statistics Office data dated 1 May 2010. It is around 39.6 kilometers away from Manila via Quezon Avenue and around 37.9 kilometers away from Rizal Provincial Capitol in Antipolo City via Sumulong Highway.
Region: REGION IV-A (CALABARZON)
Municipality/City: RODRIGUEZ (MONTALBAN)
Zip Code: 1860
Area Code: 02
Origin of the Name Montalban
Based on its natural scenic appeal, Montalban was named referring to its mountainous topography. The name Montalban was derived from the following Spanish words.
Monte meaning mountain;
Alban from the word Alba meaning white
Renaming From Montalban to Rodriguez
With the passing of the Batas Pambansa Blg. 275 and its approval on November 12, 1982, Montalban was officially renamed as Rodriguez in honor of Hon. Eulogio “Amang” Rodriguez Sr. its first Municipal President and a former Senate President of the Philippines. Requesting the enactment of the Batas Pambansa law was Resolution No. 35 passed by the Sangguniang Bayan dated November 3, 1981.
Brief Historical Highlights
- Founding Date: April 27, 1871 – Montalban was founded by Padre Estaquio of Pasig. It was called BALITE, a former barrio of San Mateo. The name BALITE was derived from a kind of tree which grew abundantly in the place. The place was formed consisting of barrios of Balite, Burgos, Marang and Calipahan from San Mateo by virtue of a decree issued by Captain-General Rafael Isquierdo who came to the Philippines dated April 1, 1871. The name BALITE was later changed to Montalban.
- Incorporation to the Province of Rizal: June 11, 1901 – Montalban was incorporated as part of the Province of Rizal together with the other municipalities consisting of the Politico-Militar District of Morong and the Province of Manila by virtue of Philippine Commission Act No. 137 in honor of Dr. Jose Rizal, the great hero and martyr. The Province of Rizal was officially and legally created acting as the unicameral legislative body in the Island of Luzon.
- Merging with San Mateo: October 12, 1903 – Montalban was consolidated with San Mateo by virtue of Philippine Commission Act No. 942. San Mateo served as the seat of government in line with the economic centralization.
- First Municipal President: 1906 – Montalban’s First Mayor Hon. Eulogio “Amang” Rodriguez Sr. began his political career as a member of the party Democrata 1906 as Munizipalpräsident (mayor) of Montalban and held that post until 1916.
- Independent Municipality: February 29, 1908 – Montaban became an independent municipality again by virtue of Executive Order No. 20 series of 1908.
Montalban with Coordinates 14°47’24″N 121°14’40″E is located on the slopes of the Sierra Madre mountain range. The place borders the Municipality of San Mateo and Antipolo City in the South, Norzagaray and San Jose Del Monte City in the North, Gen. Nakar in the East and Quezon City in the West. The nearby cities to Montalban are the cities of Antipolo City, Rizal; Real, Quezon; and Quezon City.
- San Isidro
- San Jose
- San Rafael
- JANUARY 21: RODRIGUEZ Birth Anniversary Foundation
- FEBRUARY: National Arts Month Celebration
- MARCH: Women’s Month
- APRIL: Pamitinan Pilgrimage
- JUNE: Pista ng Kagubatan
- AUGUST 27: GEN. LICERIO I. GERONIMO Birth Anniversary
- SEPTEMBER 27: WORLD Tourism Day
- OCTOBER: INDIGENOUS People Month
- NOVEMBER 30: Bonifacio Day
- DECEMBER 17-23: ARAW NG MONTALBAN CELEBRATION – This is a weeklong celebration with the PAMITINAN FESTIVAL as one of the highlights. The festival is to honor the HEROES who went and contemplated in the CAVE OF PAMITINAN led by ANDRES BONIFACIO for PHILIPPINE INDEPENDENCE.
Police Station: +632 213 1062
Fire Station: +632 212 5984